What is an Affinity Card?
Meaning, Origin, Popular Use, and Synonyms
What is an Affinity Card?
An affinity card is a type of credit card that is co-branded with an organization, typically a non-profit, charity, university, or professional association. These cards are designed to create a mutually beneficial relationship between the card issuer (usually a bank or financial institution) and the affiliated organization. When cardholders use the affinity card, a portion of the transaction revenue or points earned may be donated to the affiliated organization, supporting their cause. Apart from contributing to a cause, affinity cards also offer standard credit card benefits such as reward points, cashback, or travel perks.
Origins of the term Affinity Card
The concept of affinity cards dates back to the early 1980s in the United States. Harvard University alumni were among the first to adopt affinity cards as a means to raise funds for the university. Seeing the success of this partnership, other organizations quickly followed suit. The term “affinity card” was coined to describe this unique partnership between financial institutions and non-profit entities, wherein they shared a common affinity for a particular cause or goal.
Where is the term Affinity Card commonly used?
The concept of affinity cards has now spread worldwide, and they are commonly used in various countries. You can find affinity cards affiliated with charities, universities, sports teams, cultural organizations, and more. The United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and many European countries have embraced the affinity card model, making it a popular tool for fundraising and supporting social causes.
Synonyms of the term Affinity Card
Affinity cards are known by various names across different regions. Some common synonyms include:
- Co-branded credit card: This term emphasizes the partnership between the financial institution and the affiliated organization.
- Cause-related card: Highlighting the purpose of the card, supporting a specific cause or charity.
- Affiliation credit card: Emphasizing the connection between the card issuer and the affiliated organization.
How to say Affinity Card in other languages?
Here’s how “Affinity Card” is expressed in different languages:
- Spanish: Tarjeta de afinidad
- Italian: Carta di affinità
- French: Carte d’affinité
- German: Affinitätskarte
- Chinese: 亲和卡 (qīnhé kǎ)
- Hindi: आसक्ति कार्ड (Aasakti kaard)
- Japanese: アフィニティカード (Afiniti kādo)
- Arabic: بطاقة الانتماء (Bitaqat al-intima’)
- Russian: Карта симпатии (Karta simpatii)