What is Bucket List?
Meaning, Origin, Popular Use, and Synonyms
What is a Bucket List?
A Bucket List is a collection of experiences, achievements, or destinations that an individual aspires to accomplish or visit during their lifetime. It represents a set of personal goals and dreams that one wishes to fulfill, often involving unique and memorable experiences. The term “bucket list” is derived from the phrase “kick the bucket,” which is an idiom for dying, symbolizing the desire to achieve these goals before the end of one’s life.
Origins of the term Bucket List
The term “Bucket List” gained widespread recognition after the release of the 2007 comedy-drama film titled “The Bucket List,” starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. In the movie, the two main characters, both diagnosed with terminal illnesses, create a list of things they want to do before they die. This popularized the concept of a bucket list, and it became a widely adopted term for personal goal-setting and travel aspirations.
Where is the term Bucket List commonly used?
The term “Bucket List” is commonly used in everyday language and is especially prevalent in the context of travel and adventure. It has become a popular topic in travel blogs, social media, and travel forums, where individuals share their travel goals and experiences with others.
Synonyms of the term Bucket List
While “Bucket List” is the widely recognized term, it is also known by the following synonyms:
- Life Goals: Referring to personal aspirations and accomplishments one aims to achieve in life.
- Dream Destinations: Describing the desired travel locations on an individual’s list.
- Must-Do Experiences: Emphasizing the essential and memorable experiences one wishes to have.
How to say Bucket List in other languages?
- Spanish: Lista de deseos
- Italian: Lista dei desideri
- French: Liste de choses à faire avant de mourir
- German: Lebensziel-Liste
- Chinese: 必做清单 (Bì zuò qīngdān)
- Hindi: बकेट सूची (Baket sūcī)
- Japanese: バケットリスト (Bakettorisuto)
- Arabic: قائمة الأمنيات (Qāimah al’amniat)
- Russian: список желаний (spisok zhelaniy)