« Back to Glossary Index

What is Trundle Bed?
Meaning, Origin, Popular Use, and Synonyms

Trundle Bed - osam tour

What is Trundle Bed?

A trundle bed is a type of bed that consists of two separate beds, with one bed stored underneath the other. The lower bed is usually on wheels or casters, allowing it to be pulled out from under the upper bed when needed. Trundle beds are designed to save space and provide an extra sleeping surface, making them ideal for guest rooms, children’s bedrooms, and small living spaces. When not in use, the lower bed can be easily tucked away, providing a convenient and space-efficient solution for accommodating guests or additional sleepers.

Origins of the term Trundle Bed

The term “trundle bed” dates back to the late 16th century and has its origins in the Middle English word “trundel,” which means a small wheel or rolling device. Trundle beds were historically used as a space-saving sleeping option in small and humble dwellings. Over the centuries, they evolved to include various designs and materials, catering to different needs and interior styles.

Where is the term Trundle Bed commonly used?

The term “trundle bed” is commonly used in the furniture and interior design industries. It is a popular choice for households seeking flexible sleeping arrangements, especially for families with children or for hosting overnight guests in limited spaces.

Synonyms of the term Trundle Bed

Trundle beds are known by several synonyms, including:

  1. Pull-Out Bed: Describes the action of pulling out the lower bed from under the main bed.
  2. Roll-Out Bed: Refers to the bed’s wheeled mechanism, allowing it to be rolled out for use.
  3. Hideaway Bed: Emphasizes the bed’s ability to be hidden or stored away when not in use.
  4. Guest Bed: Highlights its utility for providing an extra bed for guests.

How to say Trundle Bed in other languages?

Translation - osam tour

Here’s how “Trundle Bed” is expressed in various languages:

  • Spanish: Cama Nido / Cama Extraíble
  • Italian: Letto Estraibile / Letto a Scomparsa
  • French: Lit Gigogne / Lit Tiroir
  • German: Ausziehbett / Rollbett
  • Chinese: 拉床 (Lā Chuáng)
  • Hindi: गड्ढा बिस्तर (Gaddha Bistar)
  • Japanese: トランドルベッド (Torandoru Beddo)
  • Arabic: سرير قابل للسحب (Sareer qabel lilsahb)
  • Russian: Выдвижная кровать (Vydvizhnaya krovat)
« Back to Travel Terms Dictionary