What is Voucher?
Meaning, Origin, Popular Use, and Synonyms
What is Voucher?
A voucher is a document or certificate that serves as evidence of a transaction, purchase, or entitlement to certain goods, services, or benefits. In the context of travel, vouchers are commonly used as a form of payment or proof of reservation for various travel-related services, such as hotel accommodations, tours, flights, and activities. They may be issued by travel agencies, tour operators, airlines, hotels, or online booking platforms. Travel vouchers help ensure a smooth and organized travel experience by providing travelers with specific details and confirmation of their arrangements.
Origins of the term Voucher
The term “voucher” can be traced back to the Latin word “vocāre,” which means “to call” or “to summon.” In the past, vouchers were used as written summonses to call upon specific services or goods. Over time, the term evolved to refer to documents used to support transactions and claims, including those in the travel industry.
Where is the term Voucher commonly used?
The term “voucher” is commonly used in the travel industry and in various other sectors where payments, discounts, or confirmations are involved. In travel, vouchers are widely used for booking accommodations, tours, and other travel services, especially in situations where travelers have pre-paid for their arrangements.
Synonyms of the term Voucher
Vouchers are known by various synonyms, including:
- Coupon: A voucher or ticket that offers a discount or specific value when redeemed.
- Ticket: A document that provides admission or access to an event, transportation, or activity.
- Certificate: A written or printed document that serves as proof of entitlement or qualification.
- Token: A physical or digital representation of value or entitlement, often used for specific purposes or transactions.
How to say Voucher in other languages?
Here’s how “Voucher” is expressed in various languages:
- Spanish: Vale / Cupón / Bono
- Italian: Voucher / Buono / Coupon
- French: Bon / Coupon / Chèque
- German: Gutschein / Coupon / Beleg
- Chinese: 代金券 (Dàijīnquàn) / 优惠券 (Yōuhuìquàn) / 抵用券 (Dǐyòngquàn)
- Hindi: वाउचर (Vāucar) / कुपन (Kupan) / प्रमाणपत्र (Pramāṇapatra)
- Japanese: バウチャー (Bauchā) / クーポン (Kūpon) / チケット (Chiketto)
- Arabic: قسيمة (Qasimat) / إيصال (Iisal) / كوبون (Kupun)
- Russian: Ваучер (Vaucher) / Купон (Kupon) / Сертификат (Sertifikat)